We are seeking an Environmental Engineer that reports to the Plant Manager. The Environmental Engineer will manage the environmental programs for the Portland cement plant and associated mines; be responsible for all regulatory reporting, monitoring and record keeping; provide direction and guidance on plant activities as they pertain to compliance with environmental regulations; and work on projects as assigned by the Plant Manager or Corporate Environmental Group.
Handle routine environmental sampling, conducting required inspections and maintaining necessary records. The candidate selected must prepare and submit compliance reports monthly, as well as prepare and maintain the annual environmental operating plans.
Accountable for the complete and accurate preparation and on time submittal for all reports required under all state and federal environmental regulations and permits including Title V, NPDES, RCRA, TRI, Tier II, Air Emission Inventories, and GHG reports.
· Responsible for compliance with offsite clay pits.
· Compile and analyze information required for the preparation of environmental reports including recommendations to Plant Management on actions required to maintain plant environmental compliance.
· Conduct periodic sampling, monitoring, observations, and inspections as required by plant permits and state and federal environmental regulations.
· Monitor, promote, and maintain overall plant compliance with all federal and state environmental regulations and permits.
· Ensure all information, readings, testing and observations are recorded and conducted as required by regulation and permit conditions.
· Coordinate periodic stack testing, prepare and submit test plans and final reports to regulatory agencies.
· Primary contact with regulatory agencies, including accompanying regulatory representatives during site inspections/visits.
· Obtain and maintain environmental permits for all plant activities including air, water, waste, and land reclamation.
· Maintain environmental operating plans including SPCC, SWPP, O&M, and SSM.
· Conduct environmental training for plant personnel.
· Keeps aware of environmental regulatory changes with the potential to impact company operation, and communicates these changes to the appropriate company management.
· Prepare environmental budget recommendations for plant operating budget and insure environmental obligations are met in a cost effective manner.
· During major plant outages, supervise employees and/or contractors.
Skills the candidate of this position must have are:
· Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering or related field
· 1- 5 years of experience in a regulatory or industry setting in the environmental field
· Knowledge of MACT, NSPS, NPDES, CAA, CWA and RCRA regulations. Experience working with state regulatory agencies.
· Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
· Knowledge of chemical and scientific nomenclature and ability to use mathematical calculations
· Familiarity with the cement manufacturing process is preferred